Sunday, November 17, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - November 17, 2013




Hello! This was my first week back home after my holiday in Canada. I got over my jetlag but am trying to adjust to the more autumnal weather. As winter approaches I want to read more 'snuggly' types of books. Did I manage it???  Well this is what I read.

I finished Kindred and Wings (Shifted World 2) by Philippa Ballantine. I will be reviewing this book so I don't want to give to much away but what I can say is that Ballantine is extremely talented. She has the ability to write light-hearted, funny and intriguing steampunk to thoughtful, imaginative fantasy. I don't think I have ever read so many books by one author that I have loved as much. This is a great series, as is her Book of the Order series. I have a special soft sport for the Ministry series and I can HARDLY wait until the next Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences book is out next year. Ballantine writes this series with her hubby Tee Morris and I LOVE IT.

I turned back to Amazon Recommendations for my next book which was 100% naughty as I had loads of other books to read. I decided on Fire and Thorns which was the first in the series by the same name written by Rae Carson. The story sounded sounded quite intriguing  - chubby princess sold off in a political marriage, country at war and a mission to help the helpless. It all sounded like a great, quick, enjoyable read. It was definitely quick and I quite liked it at the start but I soon got bored. It all seemed to be a bit too cliche with the plump princess who turns svelte and gazelle like while at the same time saving all those around her. I thought this was pretty good young fantasy but perhaps a bit too young for an adult reader.

I am really struggling with King of Thorns (Broken Empire 2) by Mark Lawrence. I really enjoyed the first book of this series, the premise and his writing style, but this second installment is just soo morose. I can barely stand to continue on as everything is soo dark and unforgiving. I will continue with it though I may not finish it as soon as I thought I would.

I bought Pantomine (Pantomime 1) by Laura Lam a few weeks ago and then forgot about it. I decided it was high time I get to this book and now I am totally gripped. What a great hero/heroine. How ingenious Lam was to have a hermaphrodite as the main protagonist and combining this with the circus just adds another dimension. I am hoping to have this finished to tell you all about it next week.

That's it for me for this week. I hope I have more to tell you about next week so until next week Happy Reading.



2 comments:

  1. I just noticed that all of the covers feature women's faces, but none show a full face! Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! You are right. I never noticed that. What a coinkydink!

    ReplyDelete