Sunday, June 08, 2014

Melanie's Week in Review - June 8, 2014




Welcome to June. I can't believe that the year is almost half over already. How time flies. I have no excuses this week for not getting some books read. So what did I read?

I found The Scribe by Elizabeth Hunter last week and finished it on Sunday. It was the first instalment of the Irin Chronicles which I found in my Amazon recommendations. The story centers on Ava who hears voices in her head but doesn't know what is being said. She lives a fairly solitary life and has been searching for the cause of the voices that have plagued her life. She goes to Istanbul, where the story is set, to find answers to her condition but instead it opens the door to more questions about who she is and where she came from. On her journey she meets Malachi, the enigmatic stranger who has the knowledge of who she really is and what she is capable of. Needless to say, the tall, dark and handsome Malachi also introduces Ava to romance and to all things 'hot and steamy'. I was quite interested in Ava's story until it was revealed that her race, the Irin (or Irina in her case) were descendants of angels. I am not terribly fond of angel stories and the whole plot turned a bit bland once that was revealed. Ava was, of course being pursued by 'the fallen' and out came the traditional good versus evil plot line. I was quite surprised by the ending as it wasn't your typical ending to a romance novel and this was enough to capture my interest to investigate book 2  - The Singer. I am hoping to start that over the next few weeks.

I also started and finished The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell which is the second book of the Shadow Police series. I enjoyed London Falling, which I reviewed last year. I will be writing a full review of this book so I don't want to give too much away here.

I finished the week with book 5 in one of my favourite series - Monster Hunter International. I got the eArc of Monster Hunter Nemesis from NetGalley and was so excited to receive it that I turned my back on all the other juicy books on my TBR. I really like this series and Correia keeps it fresh by focusing this instalment on Franks, the agent from the U.S. Monster Control Bureau. Franks has been a regular in the series and often comes into conflict with almost everyone including Owen Pitt who is has been the hero of the series so far. Franks isn't just any agent - he is a monster fighting other monsters but the difference is that he is one of the good guys. I have weirdly had a soft spot for the real monster of Frankenstein and now its even bigger...like a big blob of strawberry jam. Franks lives by the code - he protects mankind from evil and mankind promises never to create any more of him. The code is violated by Director Stricken when he creates a a team of super agents who are more technologically advanced and potentially stronger than Franks. Stricken hates Franks and frames him for more murders than I have fingers and Franks is on the run but out for revenge. Monsters, Monster Hunters and Franks....Monster Hunter Nemesis has it all.

I really liked this book and liked the fact that Correia gave us a new perspective by telling the story from Franks' perspective. Correia also gave us snippets from Franks' past at the start of every chapter so we had the opportunity to learn how he was created and his journey to becoming one of the most effective agents in the agency. We also get to see a different side to Franks and find out more than 1 secret about the truculent agent. Overall, this is another great book in the series and I am already looking forward to book 6.

That is it for me for this week and I am looking forward to some new books I have received in the last few weeks. Until next week Happy Reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment