Sunday, April 10, 2016

Melanie's Week in Review - April 10, 2016




Welcome to mid-April. I hope my American friends haven't suffered too badly in the polar vortex. Remember back in the good old days when it was just called a cold front or snow? But again, I digress with talk about the weather. What did I read?


I discovered that Magic to the Bone from the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series was out. I thought this was going to be the final instalment but when we left Jade she was in an time rift (or something) learning how to get her magic back with help from her dragon father while her boyfriend and friends try to stop the super evil Samir from turning into a god. There is only so much time before Jade and Samir come face to face for the epic battle of good versus evil. Who will survive and how much Jade has to lose in the process is the basis of the plot of this story.

I have felt that the last couple of book were dragging the story out and the plot a bit too superficial. This didn't really improve in Magic to the Bone. While there is the resolution to the plot arc involving Samir it was over in a few short sentences and then guess what?  There is another book! I can't believe it. I don't know what else Bellet has to say about these characters. I don't think I will be continuing with this series.


I read Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire weeks and weeks ago but haven't been able to tell you about it as as publication date was too far away. Then I kind of forgot about it.  Ooops. Never fear dear reader, here is my review!

Every Heart a Doorway is the story of Nancy, who has found herself in Miss West's home for wayward children. Nancy has just returned from the Halls of the Dead. Like all the children in Miss West's private school Nancy has been and returned from an 'other world' and not that happy to be sent away by her parents to a boarding school. When some of her classmates end up horrifically murdered then its up to Nancy to discover who is responsible. How many of her fellow schoolmates will die before she can find out who 'dunnit'

McGuire has written a book that can only be described as gothic horror. If you try to convince me otherwise you are going to be sorely disappointed. While Nancy has returned to the modern day everything about her, Miss West and the boarding school was very dark and moody like a traditional gothic novel. While the characters were mostly all in their teens this is not a story for a young reader unless you want them to read about dismembering and other 'gross' things. I felt like I was reading a fairy tale that was set in modern times but without the happy ending. Well written but I still felt slightly disturbed when I had finished.


I spent most of this week reading A Murder in Time by Julie McElwain. McElwain is part of the DAC this month so keep your eye peeled to the blog for my review. I can't tell you more here so enjoy the suspense!


That is it for me this week. I hope you have had a productive week and I wish you all the best finding a 'can't put down' read for the week ahead. Until next week Happy Reading.







Magic to the Bone
The Twenty-Sided Sorceress 7
Doomed Muse Press, March 19, 2016
Trade Paperback and eBook, 222 pages
Reviewer's Own

Boss Fight: Samir! Roll for initiative...

Bruised, battered, but not even close to broken, Jade and her friends must reunite, and get ready to take out her psycho ex once and for all. Leveled up and wiser, Jade stands a chance this time.

As long as she takes out Samir BEFORE he turns into a god...

This is book seven in USA Today bestselling The Twenty-Sided Sorceress urban fantasy series.




Every Heart a Doorway
Tor.com, April 6, 2016
Hardcover and eBook, 176 pages

Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children
No Solicitations
No Visitors
No Quests

Children have always disappeared under the right conditions; slipping through the shadows under a bed or at the back of a wardrobe, tumbling down rabbit holes and into old wells, and emerging somewhere... else.

But magical lands have little need for used-up miracle children.

Nancy tumbled once, but now she's back. The things she's experienced... they change a person. The children under Miss West's care understand all too well. And each of them is seeking a way back to their own fantasy world.

But Nancy's arrival marks a change at the Home. There's a darkness just around each corner, and when tragedy strikes, it's up to Nancy and her new-found schoolmates to get to the heart of things.

No matter the cost.

0 comments:

Post a Comment