Sunday, August 07, 2016

Melanie's Week in Review - August 7, 2016




This has been a really good week for me. Not only was this my last week in my current job and I had a great send off but I also finished 2 excellent books.  Without further adieu this is what I read.


If you have been reading my WIR you will know I have been glutting on Wilkie Martin's Inspector Hobbes series. I just couldn't resist book 3 - Inspector Hobbes and the Gold Diggers. Martin does it again with another great adventure for the larger than life Hobbes and his accident prone assistant Andy Caplet. In this instalment Hobbes becomes a minor celebrity when trying to capture some bank robbers. With the paparazzi on the doorstep Hobbes decides to take Andy camping in the Blacker Mountains until his notoriety blows over. When Andy (well really Dregs) finds a skeleton of a local man the pair find themselves, not only trying to find the missing gold but also who was murdered and why. This isn't the only surprise in story for Hobbes and Andy. When they eventually return home there is another surprise in store for Hobbes in the form of Kathy - his alleged long lost daughter. All this while Andy tries to impress the new lady in town. Life is never dull on Black Dog Street.

Martin does it again with another fantastic instalment. There is a lot happening in this one with the mystery of the stolen gold and the murder but it gets ramped up a notch when Kathy turns up. Andy ends up having to entertain Kathy with rather hilarious results. The funny doesn't end there especially when Andy tries to impress the newest single lady in town. When his lady love gets targeted by the new thug in town Andy decides to step up and protect her. I think this hapless hero gets knocked out and rescued more times than everyone else added together. There is a lot happening in this instalment and we actually get to find out what Hobbes really is. I was a teeny bit disappointed by this but laughing over Andy's antics made up for it. This certainly read like a final book and I hope Martin leaves us with just the three stories. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.


Book number 2 was Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews which is the 9th in the Kate Daniels series. I think I could probably sum up my whole review with just one word - WOW! I loved Magic Binds. If I wanted to digress into language far too young for me I would probably say I thought it was awesome!

Kate discovers that her father has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and she is determined to get him back. It's not that straightforward however as Kate learns that a Witch Oracle has had visions that her marriage to Curran will lead to the burning of her city - Atlanta - and have devastating consequences for Curran and their relationship as well. Kate needs help and the only person that can help her died at her hands. The odds are stacked against her but when has Kate ever played by the rules?

This instalment is nonstop action. I felt that I was on a roller coaster as every other page held some immensely, tense, plot advancing scene. I felt like a firecracker went off every chapter with huge fireworks in the penultimate chapter especially with the monumentally huge reveal and epic battle. I think this is the best book of the series and I really liked book 3. I can now see why the authors were totally exhausted when they finished writing this one as I felt drained just reading it. Fans of the series brace yourself. Also, plan to stay up late as you won't be able to put it down.


As you can see I read two great but very different books. What's in store for me next week? I can hardly wait to find out myself. Until then happy reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment